Safety: a priority for Air Liquide
Continuously and sustainably ensuring employees’ and subcontractors’ health and safety in the workplace is Air Liquide’s main concern. The Group’s keywords? “Zero accident” on every site, in every region, in every entity.
One of the fundamental values of the Group, safety is part of Air Liquide’s corporate culture, its strategy, and every employee’s daily life.
Employees are involved and mobilized through:
• training sessions targeting specific safety risks, and encouraging each employee to comply with the procedures and wear their PPE*;
• the “life-saving rules” defined by the Group, with regular reminders;
• regular “safety meetings” led by the managers;
• safety challenges rewarding the most involved teams;
• regular communication set up at every level of the company: internal newsletters, dedicated intranet…
Every accident or incident is reported and analyzed. An action plan is then set up to prevent similar events occurring. Lessons learned are widely shared within the Group. In addition, safety objectives are part of the variable remuneration of the Group’s managers.
Air Liquide also addresses safety issues outside of the Group’s sites, especially in the area of road safety. Recent pilot programs were carried out within the Group on the trucks driven by our employees and subcontractors: onboard equipments with accelerometers were set up in several vehicles in China, for example. After three months of testing in China, speeding dropped by 50%. Initiatives that will come into general use in 2017.
* PPE - Personal Protective Equipments: helmets, shoes, gloves, etc.
1.4 NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS WITH AT LEAST ONE DAY OF LOST-TIME OF GROUP EMPLOYEES
per million hours worked in 2016 (excluding Airgas and including Diving and Welding).